|POSITION:||Accountant||DEPARTMENT: Finance, Maine|
|LOCATION:||Corporate, Saco||SUPERVISOR: Controller|
APPLY ONLINE AT www.mainewater.com/careers/career-opportunities
GENERAL JOB PURPOSE
The Accountant is responsible for delivering excellent service to our customers and shareholders by performing a wide variety of tasks associated with the completion and maintenance of the Company’s utility property, general ledger and financial reports. The Accountant will have primary responsibility for all aspects of property accounting, and will assist the Controller with all duties of regular financial reporting, rate applications, and subsidiary debt financing.
Maine Water employees deliver life sustaining, high quality water service to the families and communities we serve and demonstrate the core values in fulfilling their job responsibilities: honesty, trust, respect, teamwork, positive attitude and straight talk.
The Accountant performs a variety of duties. Tasks include but are not limited to the following:
- Has primary responsibility for all utility property accounting, including depreciation, AFUDC calculations, capitalized labor and overheads, and the interface with Powerplant and the general ledger. Reports results each month versus capital budget, by regulated division.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of all municipal property tax assessments and reporting requirements. Analyzes tax bills and corresponds with municipal assessors and tax collectors as needed.
- Provides oversight and has responsibility for timely and accurate accounts payable processing, including working with the Procurement Department.
- Responsible for interface of utility property with GIS systems, working with the engineering department.
- Responsible for accounting surrounding inventory, Customer Advances, and Contributions in Aid of Construction.
- Assists the Controller in monthly, quarterly, and annual closing of books and the reconciliation of accounts, corrections, and journal entries and assists with implementing and ensuring proper internal financial controls and procedures.
- Assists in providing accounting services for contracted services to other water and wastewater systems.
- Assists with preparation of a variety of financial reports, including annual reports, the Maine Public Utilities Commission, and various other agencies.
- Files unclaimed property reports with the state in a timely manner.
- Assists with preparation and closing of all debt financings, including MPUC applications.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual business plan, with Controller and President.
- Assists in preparation of WISC filings to recover capital investments, and in the preparation of general rate increase applications for each division.
- Completes special projects, as required.
- Maine Water is committed to providing a safe workplace. This position is responsible for learning, following and ensuring compliance with all safety rules. This includes rules and regulations in the Company Safety Manual, OSHA regulations and other state, federal, or governing body’s rules and regulations.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, or a related field.
- Five to seven years of related experience.
- Must possess the knowledge of accounting principles and utility accounting.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with staff and employees.
- Excellent communication, organization and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and under deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency in technology and computer skills. Must possess proficiency in Microsoft Office, accounting, and reporting software.
The above description covers the most significant duties performed but does not exclude other work assignments not mentioned.