Water Operator – Farmington Village Corporation
Open Immediately: Water Operator
The Farmington Village Corporation (FVC) seeks loyal and team minded water operator committed to the mission of providing safe drinking water. Individual needs to hold a Class II Treatment and Class II Distribution license, or able to obtain within six (6) months of start date. Position available immediately.
General Summary of Duties:
Under the direct supervision of the Farmington Village Corporation’s Superintendent, performs skilled and semi-skilled manual labor involving the construction, installation, repair, and maintenance of water distribution system infrastructure.
Essential Job Functions:
- Installs, operates, repairs, and maintains all water distribution system infrastructure, including but not limited to mains/pipes, gates/valves, pumps, hydrants, and services.
- Able to assist with drinking water treatment systems.
- Regularly checks pumps and other infrastructure to ensure proper functioning.
- Assists in the flushing of hydrants and water mains, and the thawing of frozen services.
- Operates, maintains, and repairs or assists with the repair of light and heavy motorized equipment, such as back-hoe, dump truck, bulldozer, loader, and excavator.
- Shovels or plows snow from hydrants and pump stations during the winter.
- Reads, checks, repairs, tests, and replaces water meters. Turns meters on and off as necessary.
- Follows all applicable safety procedures and OSHA safety regulations. Attends all safety meetings and training sessions.
- Assists with the general maintenance of utility facilities as required.
- Performs on-call duty responsibilities as required in order to respond to and resolve water leaks or other distribution system emergencies.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.
- Performs grounds maintenance, patrol water company land and pick up litter and debris.
- Administrative responsibilities such as answering the telephone, inventory control and receipt of deliveries is required.
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required.
- Must hold a minimum of a GED
- Preference for candidate to live in FVC’s service territory, but if not, must be able to be on site within 30 minutes of call
- Must have working knowledge of spreadsheets and SCADA computer operations
- Ability to have or obtain Class II Maine Water Treatment and Distribution licenses within six months of hire
- State of Maine Class C Driver’s License with a moving violation conviction free driving record for a period of including the last three (3) years.
- Must be available for on call duty and emergency call in
- Plumbing experience is desirable
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Applicant must be able to sit, bend, kneel, stand, reach overhead, climb a ladder, walk, talk and hear. Must be able to occasionally lift and move up to 25-50lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job function.
- The majority of work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions. Work involves close proximity to environmental hazards, electrical or mechanical devices and equipment, moving mechanical parts, excessive loud noise, and areas of heavy traffic.
- Work involves heavy manual labor and frequently requires the incumbent to climb, bend, reach, grab, stoop, crouch, dig, and lift/carry heavy objects for extended periods. Often works underground and in cramped or awkward spaces.
- Operates ladder, shovel, pipe saw, welder, flusher, tapping machines, air compressors, pneumatic tools, hand tools, power tools, and a variety of light and heavy motorized equipment, including backhoe, excavator, dump truck, bulldozer, tractor, loader, and excavator.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with a disability.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Wage and Benefit Summaries:
- Hourly wage commensurate with candidate’s experience and qualifications
- 13 Holidays Observed
- FVC pays 80% of health care coverage for employee
- FVC participates in Maine State Retirement
- Upon successful completion of a six month probationary period, the successful candidate is eligible for Life Insurance, and is eligible to use vacation and sick time.
- 10 vacation days for staff with less than 5 years’ service
- Accrual of 1 sick day per month (maximum 90 days)
Send cover letter, resume, and list of references March 5, 2018, to the attention of Director, Maine Rural Water Association at PO Box 263, Richmond ME 04357 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
The Farmington Village Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.